Restorative dentistry means the integrated diagnosis, study, and management of teeth and structural support diseases. In layman’s terms, this is the replacement of broken or missing teeth to restore the natural smile and maintain oral health. Additionally, restorative dentistry involves the rehabilitation of aesthetics and functions of individual teeth.
Restorative Dentistry Treatments
Restorative dental practices revolve around the specialty dentistry services, such as periodontics, endodontics, and prosthodontics. Additionally, restorative dentistry also looks into injuries caused by trauma. Restorative dentistry isn’t limited to the teeth; some procedures, like tongue tie surgery, fix other areas of your mouth.
Front teeth injuries are often present in accident victims with varying degrees. The procedures involved for restoration can include multiple dental specialists to provide the care that you need. At Greenwood Dental Care in Lake County, IL, we provide comprehensive care including restorative and general dentistry services.
Periodontics Restorative Dentistry
The diagnosis, treatment, and management of gum (periodontal) disease is periodontics. Sensitivity, bleeding, and receding gums are all signs of gum disease, also called periodontitis. Gum disease requires intervention because further shrinking of the gums and bone can result in loose teeth or even tooth or bone infection.
Periodontal therapy in Lake County, IL works to treat and even reverse some of the symptoms of gum diseases. Dentists who practice this kind of dentistry assist patients with dental implants or bridges as well as other procedures targeting gum disease.
Endodontics Restorative Dentistry
Endodontic therapy treats injuries or abnormalities of the roots and pulp of the teeth. The pulp describes the bundles of nerves that make teeth so sensitive. Using radiographs and pulp tests, endodontic specialists can provide diagnostics and treatment of these destructive diseases. Thus, the specialty practice of endodontics helps prevent further tooth loss to ensure oral health.
Prosthodontics Restorative Dentistry
Disabilities caused by inadequate tooth support structures and the loss of teeth need prosthodontist restorative dentistry. Prosthodontics describes the construction and installation of corrective prosthetics for augmenting proper teeth function in addition to appearance.
This kind of dentistry keeps the mouth healthy for a clean, functional smile. Procedures involved in restorative dentistry include:
- Composite fillings – This is the restorative dentistry method of choice for treating tooth cavities and involves repairing damaged teeth with various materials. First, your restorative dentist in Lake County removes the damaged portion of the tooth. Then, your dentist restores the tooth’s natural shape with a filling made from a variety of materials. These can include porcelain, gold or composite plastics and resin. We perform composite fillings in Lake County.
- Dental crowns – Dental crowns provide for the protection and restoration of teeth. Crowns fit over and cover the outer enamel covering. Broken teeth or cavities can receive a crown as a restorative measure. Crowns are fixed in place with dental cement, cover individual problematic teeth and help prevent further decay or damage.
- Dental bridges – Dental bridges fill gaps left by a missing tooth. This method utilizes crowns on each side with an artificial bridge tooth or teeth to fill in the gap. Bridging is essential in keeping the structural integrity intact in order to prevent malformations or out of place teeth.
- Dental implants – Dental implants are restorative replacements for missing teeth anchored onto the gum line and jawbone. A cosmetic tooth is then adjoined to the anchor, acting and looking like natural teeth. Restorative dentistry employs metallic anchors, such as those made from titanium, that eventually fuse with the bone to firmly hold the false tooth in place.
Schedule Restorative Dentistry at Greenwood Dental Care
Greenwood Dental Care provides the highest level of attention to your restorative dentistry in Lake County, IL. We have the combined expertise in restorative procedures while keeping you in the loop regarding all available treatment options. Other restorative dentistry services we provide include:
- Endodontic therapy
- Inlay and onlay restorations
- Dental sealants
- Night guards
- Occlusal adjustment
- Cavity fillings
At Greenwood Dental Care, every member of our staff is committed to providing the best restorative dentistry care. Give us a call today at 855.528.3961 to get started.