Inlay and onlay restorations are used as an alternative to full coverage dental crowns. These dental restorations offer a well-fitting, strong, longer-lasting solution to tooth decay. Dentists use inlay and onlay restorations in place of dental fillings. While dental fillings are molded into place within the mouth during a single dental visit, Inlay and onlay restorations are fabricated in a dental lab before being fitted and bonded to the damaged tooth.
During an inlay restoration, your dentist bonds the material to the center of the tooth. An onlay restoration is similar to an inlay restoration except the extent of the damage requires inclusion of one or more cusps (the pointed portion of the tooth on the biting surface) on the tooth. Both inlays and onlays are highly durable and with proper care, they can last for many years. Some reasons for needing these restorations include large, failing restorations, lost fillings or fractured cusps.
Advantages and benefits of Inlay and onlay restorations include:
- Tooth color – Inlays and onlays are not likely to discolor over time.
- Superior fit – This conservative approach preserves as much healthy tooth as possible.
- Tight space fulfillments – Inlays are best for sealing teeth in order to keep out bacteria.
- Strength and stability – Inlays and onlays are extremely stable restorative solutions for the treatment of decay.
- Tooth structure safeguard – Since the dentist tailors the fit at all edges and preparation is minimal, your tooth will be easier to clean.
- Weak tooth protector – An onlay can protect the weak areas of the tooth. This procedure does not require the complete reshaping of the tooth.
Contact Greenwood Dental Care
At Greenwood Dental Care, we offer a multitude of dental procedures and treatments to residents of Lake County, IL. Our other procedures and treatments include:
To learn more about inlay and onlay restorations and to schedule your appointment, call Greenwood Dental Care at 855.528.3961 today!