Dental sealants are highly effective in preventing tooth decay and cavities on your molars and premolars. These areas are the most susceptible to cavities due to the anatomized grooves.
Typically, children receive sealants on their permanent molars and premolars as soon as these teeth come in. However, adults without decay or fillings in their molars can also benefit from dental sealants.
Applying Dental Sealants
The process of applying dental sealants is fast and easy. The application steps are as follows:
- Your dental hygienist performs a thorough cleaning on your teeth
- The dental hygienist or dentist dries each tooth to ensure the surface is ready for solution application
- Your dental hygienist or dentist then puts the solution on the chewing surfaces of the teeth to help the sealant bond to the teeth
- The sealant is painted onto the tooth enamel, where it bonds directly to the tooth
- An LED light is used to allow the sealant to harden
Dental sealants act as a barrier and protect the enamel from plaque and acids. They may last for several years before you need a reapplication. As long as the sealant remains intact, the tooth surface will be protected from decay.
Dental sealants are not a substitute for brushing your teeth. It is important to maintain proper oral hygiene. Also, sealants do not protect between the teeth, so it is essential to continue to floss daily.
Contact Greenwood Dental Care
At Greenwood Dental Care, we perform more than just dental sealant application. Our team of specially trained dental professionals offer a wide variety of dental treatments and procedures. Some of those procedures and treatments include:
We can’t wait to meet your dental needs at Greenwood Dental Care. To schedule an appointment, please call our Lake County, IL office at 855.528.3961. We look forward to helping you!