No one wants to go to the dentist and hear that they have a cavity. Not only are cavities painful, but they can also lead to worse problems if not dealt with promptly. On top of all that, no one likes to get a tooth filled. You may wonder how to prevent cavities altogether so you can avoid these consequences. Regular visits to a general dentist in Waukegan, IL can help you maintain your oral health and avoid needing a cavity filling.
How Do Cavities Form
Cavities are often talked about in general terms, but do you really know how they form? Understanding how you get them will help you understand how to prevent cavities.
Cavities are areas of the tooth that have decayed permanently. How does this occur? Food and drink cling to your teeth after you eat. As a result, the bacteria in your mouth will turn that food and drink into acid. The acid combined with the food and debris creates plaque. Plaque is destructive to your mouth. It eats away at your teeth and, over time, and creates a hole. This hole is the cavity.
To reduce the plaque, you have to reduce the food and drink that stays on your teeth. That’s the first step in knowing how to prevent cavities.
How to Prevent Cavities
Let’s look at some practical steps you can take to avoid getting a cavity. Once you learn how to prevent cavities, you’ll be well on your way to a healthier mouth.
- Use fluoride toothpaste to clean your teeth after each meal or at minimum twice a day
- Avoid snacking and drinking sugary drinks in between meals because the food will sit on your teeth
- Use mouthwash if you are prone to developing cavities. The mouthwash has antibacterial properties in it that will cleanse away bacteria.
- Drink plenty of tap water
- Reduce the number of foods and drinks that are not good for your teeth such as sugary foods and starches as well as crunchy snacks that stay lodged in between your teeth
- Visit your dentist regularly for cleanings
Cavity Prevention Treatment
At Greenwood Dental, we offer a broad array of top-quality dental services. Our comprehensive services include everything you need to have a healthy mouth and a winning smile. You will receive personable care and expert service when you work with Greenwood Dental.
Furthermore, our entire team is well versed in all the latest dental technology. Dentistry services offered at Greenwood Dental, to help you maintain your oral health and give you the smile, you’ve always dreamed of include:
- Cosmetic Dentistry Services
- General Dentistry Services
- Family Dentistry Services
- Pediatric Dentistry Services
- Restorative Dentistry Services
- Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Teeth Whitening Services
Contact Greenwood Dental
Don’t let cavities get in your way. Now that you know how to prevent cavities be proactive in your oral health. You can rest easy knowing your teeth are in good hands at Greenwood Dental. Contact Greenwood Dental at 855.528.3961 and schedule your appointment for a check-up today.