We’ve all been told at least once in our life that daily flossing is crucial. After all, daily flossing prevents particles of food from becoming lodged between your teeth, where plaque and tartar can gather. Their presence can lead to tooth decay development, which in turn can lead to the need for root canal treatment, dental implants, and other dental treatments.
While you can seek treatment at your local dentist’s office that practices family dentistry in Lake County, such treatment can become costly. It is better that you take preventative measures, including flossing daily, to avoid undergoing such procedures in the first place.
Why You Should Practice Daily Flossing
Here are four reasons why flossing may be beneficial for your dental hygiene routine:
- Preventative care – Food and bacteria buildup between your teeth is unavoidable. Over time, these bacterial colonies lead to tooth decay and the destruction of your dental health. Daily flossing helps remove food and bacteria from areas that your toothbrush can’t reach
- Helps prevent gingivitis and gum disease – Your teeth aren’t the only part of your mouth that needs attention. Many people take care of their teeth but ignore their gums. People who practice daily flossing experience much lower instances of periodontal pathogens, gum bleeding, and decay-causing bacteria in contrast with people who do not floss. Those who floss don’t have to seek periodontal therapy in Lake County, IL
- Protects your smile – Flossing does more than just prevent cavities—it also preserves the bones that support your teeth. By preserving the height of that bony structure as well as a healthy smile, you’re maintaining a healthy and youthful appearance that will benefit you for years to come
- Gives you better overall health – Gum disease doesn’t just affect your mouth and jaw. It has also been linked to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even respiratory diseases. Flossing daily is more than just an optimal habit—it can help keep you healthy as you age
General Dentistry and Daily Flossing
If you forget daily flossing, you’ll end up needing general dentistry. General dentistry provides professional protection for your oral health. You only have one set of teeth and only one mouth, so oral self-care is of paramount importance. Greenwood Dental also offers a number of general dentistry services to keep your mouth clean and healthy. From restorative dental work to topical fluoride, Greenwood Dental can help you build upon daily flossing. General dentistry services include but aren’t limited to:
- Dental Cleanings: Have you neglected taking care of your teeth? If so, come get a professional dental cleaning from Greenwood Dental. We’ll leave your mouth feeling like its brand new!
- Fluoride Treatment: Repair your teeth and make your mouth clean with our fluoride treatment. If it’s good enough for the water supply, it’s good for your teeth!
- Oral Cancer Screenings: Be prepared for the possibility of oral cancer and get yourself screened immediately.
- Gingivitis Treatment: Gingivitis, like all oral maladies, is a pain to deal with and a threat to your health. Stop infection in its tracks with our gingivitis treatment.
- Gum Disease Treatment: Prevent gum disease with our gum disease treatment. If you see blood on your toothbrush, you need gum disease treatment pronto. Don’t delay your preventative dental work; stop gum disease before it gets out of control.
Visit Your Dentist
Daily flossing and brushing can help prevent tooth decay and other undesirable dental issues from developing. But the best preventative measure you can take is visiting your dentist regularly.
At Greenwood Dental Care, we are pleased to offer a variety of oral health solutions to keep your smile healthy, including dental cleanings in Lake County, IL.
To learn more about the benefits of daily flossing, contact Greenwood Dental Care today at 855.528.3961.